Men who are considering a vasectomy have a consultation before the procedure. At this appointment, the doctor will explain the procedure and answer any questions.
Vasectomies can be performed under a local or general anaesthetic. There will be a small scar from the incision but this will not be very noticeable once it has healed.
After the Procedure
You may go home shortly after your procedure. Preferably someone else should drive you home.
- Rest is an important factor for a smooth recovery.
- Ice pack for 20 minutes every two hours.
- Avoid strenuous exercise or lifting for seven days.
- Do not bathe or swim for 24 hours after your procedure.
- Sexual intercourse may be resumed after one week however other methods of contraception are required until you have had a clear semen analysis.