Holmium Laser Prostatectomy is offered by STU doctors for obstructive benign prostatic hyperplasia at St Andrew’s Hospital
- Results in lower transfusion rate, shorter period of catheterisation and shorter hospital stay when compared with transurethral resection of prostate (TURP)
- Is equivalent to TURP for symptom relief, rate of UTI and stricture
- Allows the retrieval of prostate tissue to detect undiagnosed prostate cancer, unlike the Greenlight Laser which causes prostate tissue vaporisation
- Allows concurrent treatment of bladder stones if they are present
- Requires a longer operative time than TURP.
Please discuss Holmium Laser Prostatectomy with your Urologist.
Reference: Tooher RL et al. A Systematic Review of Holmium Laser Prostatectomy, ASERNIP-S Report No. 23. Adelaide, South Australia: ASERNIP-S, June, 2003.